Bumble reveals how single Indians dated in 2021
Over 9 billion messages were exchanged on Bumble globally in 2021, up nearly 40% from 2020Over one billion matches were made on Bumble globally in 2021, showing over a 25% increase from the matches made in 2020
From showcasing dating preferences and choices when it comes to finding a partner on Bumble to expressing their values, traits, and allyship, Bumble, the women-first dating and social networking app, today revealed how single Indians dated in 2021 in a new report.
DATING IN 2021:
Building meaningful connections online reigned supreme as over one billion matches were made on Bumble globally in 2021, showing over a 25% increase from the matches made in 2020. In 2021, we’ve seen an increased need for social connections with continued lockdown and social distancing restrictions, evidenced by the fact that over 9 billion messages were exchanged on Bumble globally in 2021, up nearly 40% from 2020. The highest number of messages were exchanged between October and early November in 2021 as singles all over the world headed into the start of a major “online dating season”.
How Indians dated in 2021:
In India, some of the most popular Bumble Profile Badges include “Exercise,” “Date Intentions,” “Drinking” and “Education”.
2021 was the year of intentional dating where singles were eager to build more meaningful connections than ever. It’s not surprising to see that “Dating Intentions” was one of the most popular filters used in 2021 among the Bumble community as they searched for potential partners that shared similar dating intentions before beginning a conversation on the app. We expect the intentional dating trend to continue in 2022 as the majority of single people (54%) in India are more mindful of how and when they date.
In 2021, since the launch of Bumble’s Interest Badges in March, the top three interest categories for India’s Gen Z and Millennial users were: “Film and TV,” “Food and Drink” and “Sports”.
In 2021, action & adventure and comedy were the top two genres of choice for Indians who adopted the “Film and TV” Interest Badge on their Bumble profiles. While Bollywood was another top choice for Millennials, Anime was the most popular genre among Gen Z.
In 2021, Bumble users in India selected Filters such as “Photography,” “Coffee,” “Dogs,” “Pubs” and “Cooking” most widely on the app to prioritize finding a partner with shared values and intentions.
Coffee was the beverage of choice for Indians who selected the “Food and Drink” interest category followed by beer, foodie and Biryani. Based on those who selected “Sports” as an interest, Cricket, Football and badminton were some of the top sports displayed on Bumble profiles in India.
- While cooking, video games, and gardening were some of the most popular “Staying In” activities, pubs and nightclubs, cafe hopping and stand up were top “Going Out” activities for the Bumble community in India.
- Based on those who selected “Values and allyship” as an interest “Environmentalism,” “Feminism” and “LGBTQIA+ ally” were top choices for Indians on Bumble profiles.
- Beaches was the top choice for Indians on Bumble, followed by road and hiking trips ranking as some of the top travel activities In 2021.
Having a sense of humour and an open mind goes a long way when dating. In fact, data shows that these two are the most important traits followed by Empathy for Bumble users worldwide according to those who adopted the “Values and Traits” Interest Badge on the app.
Zodiac signs continue to be a hot topic amongst the Bumble community. Leos on Bumble were the most lucky in love across the world. They had the most matches of any star sign, followed by Scorpio and Libra in India.
The top Profile Prompts on Bumble in 2021 was reflective of how compatibility was a key component for daters this year. Here are some of the top Profile Prompts that people in India used to open up the conversation with a potential match:
- “We’ll get along if…”
- “The quickest way to my heart is…”
- “Favourite quality in a person”
- “Perfect first date”
Most popular Question Games on Bumble in 2021:
- “What’s the first thing you find attractive in someone?”
- “What’s your go-to comfort food?”
- “What is something you’re currently obsessed with?”
Dating in 2022: Tips to Bumble better
As we look ahead to 2022, below are some tips to Bumble better and help you navigate your dating journey:
○ Send a message when folks are most likely to be online and responsive! The most popular time to be on Bumble is between 7 pm – 10 pm especially during the weekdays as people get ready to wind down from the hustle and bustle of the day and enjoy leisurely activities before bedtime.
○ Love them or loathe them, emojis have become the new grammar in our daily conversations. The shrugging emoji () is one of the most popular emojis found on Bumble profiles globally in 2021. The airplane emoji () was another popular emoji on Bumble profiles as people started traveling again with the ease of lockdowns across the world.
○ Less is not more: Don’t leave your profile blank! This is your opportunity to show off your amazing sense of humor and let your next potential match get to know a little bit about you. Everyone loves a funny, memorable profile. Remember to keep it positive! Asking a question in your profile that a potential match can answer as their first message to you is always a good idea.
○ Show off your special and most authentic self: Give specific examples or anecdotes that show your matches what sets you apart. Lots of people are fun, outgoing, adventurous, love to travel, or enjoy being active. If you like to cook, what’s your favorite dish to make? What show are you watching on TV right now? What does your typical Saturday night look like?